Submitted by: Veronica Coffin
Real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump formally announced his candidacy for the 2016 presidential election on Tuesday.
The outspoken billionaire delivered his remarks at Trump Tower in New York, where he touched upon a variety of topics including campaign fundraising, border security, and international trade.
Here are seven characteristically bold statements Trump made during his 2016 presidential announcement.
1. “I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”
Trump certainly owned up to his wealth. He even held up a page breaking down his net worth.
“I’m using my own money,” Trump announced. “I’m not using lobbyists. I’m not using donors.”
“I don’t care. I’m really rich,” he said.
2. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border and I will make Mexico pay for that wall.”
Interesting. I’d like to hear how he plans to get Mexico on board with that plan of his.
3. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems… They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime, rapists.”
He made this remark while discussing economic competition abroad.
“They are not our friend, believe me,” Trump said.
4. “I beat China all the time. All the time.”
Trump made sure to leverage his business savvy and financial success throughout his speech.
“We don’t have victories anymore,” he said. “When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let’s say, China in a trade deal? They kill us.”
“I beat China all the time. All the time,” Trump proclaimed.
5. “I will be the greatest jobs President that God ever created.”
He promised he would restore the U.S. economy and revive the American Dream.
6. “Obama is going to be out playing golf. He might even be on one of my courses.”
Talk about shots fired. Trump said that once the President’s second term is over, he’ll be heading straight to the golf course while the country is left to deal with his policies.
“I have the best courses in the world,” Trump boasted. “I have one right next to the White House, right on the Potomac.”
“If he’d like to play, that’s fine. In fact, I’d like him to leave early and play. That would be a very good thing.”
7. “People say, Mr. Trump, you’re not a nice person. But actually, I am.”
Contestants on his show The Apprentice might disagree.
“People that know me like me,” Trump insisted.
Click to Tweet
We totally believe you.
Trump made his way to the main stage on his building’s escalator with the song “Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World” by Neil Young blaring in the background.
With his campaign now official, Trump finds himself among 12 other declared contenders vying for the Republican presidential nomination.Follow VeronicaCoffin